Natural Herbal Cures For Strep Throat
Strep throat is a sort of sore throat that is caused by the streptococcal bacteria. Strep throat symptoms are generally more severe than other sore throat infections. It is very important to address strep throat with prompt treatment because if left untreated, it may lead to many complications such as rheumatic fever, kidney complications, etc. Although there are prescribed medications to treat strep throat, natural strep throat remedies also help alleviate the condition. Natural Herbal Cures for Strep Throat
: Inflammation of throat, tonsils, and lymph nodes is known as strep throat; strep throat is medically termed streptococcal pharyngitis. Group A streptococcus bacteria cause this inflammation, and it is widespread during the flu season. Even though children and teenagers are prone to strep throat, it can occur to anyone at any time. Streptococcus bacterium is very contagious and can be transmitted easily through physical contact and bodily secretions. The infection is airborne, and sometimes, standing next to an infected person can transmit the bacterium. Causes and Symptoms
: Knowing strep throat causes and symptoms helps to ease the condition. The most common symptoms of strep throat include the following:
- Sudden, severe sore throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Painful and swollen tonsils
- White or yellow spots on throat
- Swollen neck nodes (lymph glands)
- Stomach aches, nausea, and vomiting in children
Strep throat is caused by the most common Group A Streptococcus bacteria. It is spread by:
Strep Throat Treatments
- Person-to-person contact
- Nasal secretions
: Strep throat will typically go away in three to seven days. In order to kill the bacteria and prevent further complications, antibiotics such as penicillin and cephalexin are used to treat strep throat. Apart from taking the prescribed medications, there are some natural strep throat remedies for faster recovery and to alleviate the symptoms.
- Rest: Taking adequate rest helps to fight the infection effectively. Also, taking rest prevents spreading the disease.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Since swallowing is difficult during strep throat, it is important to drink a lot of water. Drinking water helps to avoid dehydration and keep the throat lubricated and helps to consume foods with ease.
- Gargling: Warm water gargling is one of the effective natural strep throat remedies. Take a glass of warm water and add one teaspoon of salt. Gargle with this water twice or thrice a day. This has a soothing effect on the throat.
- Add Moisture using a Humidifier: Humidifiers can moisten the air, and air moisture helps to avoid drying out of mucous membrane in the throat.
- Stay Away from Irritants: Some irritants such as cigarette smoke, fumes from paint, and cleaning products may worsen the infection. Keep away from such irritants.
- Herbal Cures: Strep throat can be treated using herbs and mint mists. Sage is one of the herbal cures for strep throat. Chewing sage leaves soothes the throat by relieving the soreness. The juice of the leaves can also ease the pain. Sage also reduces inflammation and protects the soft tissues of the throat.
- Chamomile tea is one of the natural strep throat remedies that soothe the soreness in the throat. Chamomile has analgesic properties that provide relief for throat pain. It also helps to prevent dehydration.
- Garlic is also one of the nature cures owing to its antibiotic properties.
Besides, trying natural cures for strep throat, it is essential to eat foods that cause less pain on the throat. Eat soft foods such as fruits, mashed cereals, vegetables, yogurt, soft cooked eggs, chicken broths, and vegetable broths. Avoid spicy, acidic foods like orange juice. Despite the fact that natural remedies for strep throat can be helpful, it is necessary to visit the doctor as strep throat is a bacterial infection that will require antibiotics. References: