Relief From Stuffy Nose: Symptoms, Causes & Remedies
A stuffy nose is one of the most common conditions that everyone suffers from at least once in their lifetime. Although nasal congestion is not a serious condition, it is bothersome as it disrupts the day-to-day activities and reduces the quality of sleep. There are many home remedies that come in handy to relieve a stuffy nose.
The obstruction of air in and out of the nose is known as a stuffy nose. Inflammation and swelling of the sinuses and nasal passage results in nasal congestion, and the swollen blood vessels cause the inflammation of the nasal passage. Severe nasal congestion will interfere with sleep. A nasal congestion can also cause clogged ear, resulting in hearing difficulty. In children, a stuffy nose could also lead to difficulties in speech and inhibit the process of learning.
The feeling of stuffiness in the nose is the main symptom of nasal congestion. Other symptoms include the following:
- Difficulty in breathing through the nose
- Discharge from the nose
- Problems while speaking, hearing and sleeping may occur in severe cases.
- Rarely, nasal congestion may lead to swelling of eyes and blurred vision.
Common causes of stuffy nose include the following:
- Common colds
- Sinus infections
- Hay fever
- Continuous use of nasal sprays and nasal drops
- Nasal polyps
- Vasomotor rhinitis
- Cluster headaches
Natural remedies for common ailments such as nasal congestion and cold are not detrimental to your health. On the other hand, frequent uses of antibiotics for such minor health conditions can have long-term side effects. For this reason, home remedies are advisable to deal with minor illnesses. Given below are some of the natural remedies to relieve a stuffy nose.
- Decongestion of a stuffy nose can be done using nasal sprays and drops. Add a teaspoon of salt to a little of water. This saline solution can be used as decongestion drops that helps relieve a stuffy nose.
- Steam inhalation with a drop of eucalyptus or peppermint oil is one of the most effective home remedies for nasal congestion. Boil water in a vessel. Drape a towel around the head to trap the steam within it. Inhale the steam. You could also add some essential oil to this water as it helps to alleviate congestion in the nasal passage.
- Hot herbal teas like chamomile and ginger teas are effective natural cures to clear a blocked nose. You can also try chicken soup or broth. When suffering from a stuffy nose, avoid carbonated and caffeinated drinks.
- Adding mild spices in the diet can help to loosen congestion as they stimulate mucus production.
- Vapor rub is the most popular and effective common home treatment to clear a blocked nose. Rubbing a small amount of vapor rub around the nostrils and onto the chest can open up the nasal passage and ease congestion.
- While lying down, the stuffy feeling gets worse and the condition is aggravated. Sleep with your head in an elevated position that enables drainage of the nasal passage.
- Placing warm compress on the face or eyes helps to reduce the discomfort associated with sinusitis.
- Tomato tea is another effective but lesser known home remedy for a stuffy nose. To a cup of tomato juice, add a teaspoon of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of hot sauce, and minced garlic. Warm the mixture and drink. This mixture is packed with vitamin C that strengthens the immune system of the body. Garlic helps to prevent infection and the drainage of nasal passage can be enabled by hot sauce.
- Consuming fruit juices with a few drops of oil of oregano helps to ease the condition.
- Place powdered carom seeds in a cloth and keep it near your pillow. This helps to clear up a stuffed nose.