February 11, 2010

Symptoms & Treatment For Chemical Poisoning

Posted in Category : Common Ailments

Chemical poisoning can have varying levels of severity, largely dependent on the amount of chemical consumed or come in contact with, the kind and potency of the chemical as well as the overall state of health of the body. The poisoning occurs when any toxic substance comes in contact with the body and causes some kind of adverse internal reaction. While most cases will see the substance either inhaled or swallowed, it is also likely that it could be simply caused by the substance coming in contact with the eyes, nose or even skin. People that are exposed to chemicals at their workplace or even people that reside close to industrial installations are always at a higher risk than anyone else to suffer from chemical poisoning while the accidental ingestion of some household chemicals is not uncommon.


The symptoms of chemical poisoning will depend largely on the seriousness of the condition. When affected by mild poisoning, for example, the patient is likely to experience the onset of headaches and some amount of soreness in the joints. Other symptoms include a loss of appetite, fatigue, nausea or even perspiration and restlessness. Moderate levels of poisoning are likely to show symptoms of muscle twitching, stomach cramps, severe diarrhea as well as noticeable loss of muscle co-ordination. The patient is also likely to experience blurred vision, an irritation of the eyes or even excessive salivation. The most severe cases of chemical poisoning are likely to induce a considerable amount of thirst in the patient as well as a significantly high heart rate. While the muscle twitching may also be apparent, the pupils are also likely to reduce to the size of a pinpoint while a difficulty in breathing is likely to set in as well.


The most effective treatment options available will depend significantly on the type of chemical involved as well as the point of contact. For example, if the poison has been inhaled, it is likely to cause a lot of damage to vital organs such as the lungs. The affected individual must be almost immediately allowed to take in fresh air while the clothing is loosened as well. If the victim has stopped breathing, the administration of artificial respiration would be required. If the poison has been consumed orally, the victim’s mouth may need to be examined to help identify the kind of substance consumed while the stomach may need to be flushed in order to extract any undigested amounts of the substance that was consumed. Garlic is one household substance that is known to help detoxify and clean the blood stream effectively and should thus be used in most of the patient’s meals while he or she is making a recovery.