Ways To Improve Your Eyesight
Eyes are windows to the world but, what happens when the picture viewed through these windows; start to fade, get blurry or need squinting, to be seen? Vision provides almost 80% of your sensory input. So it is important to safeguard your eyesight against certain factors which aid in deteriorating eyesight. These could be due to eye-related diseases, other conditions or injuries and most often than not, eye-related diseases start showing its symptoms only after the disease has progressed. Prevention is better than cure and in this case, methods and measures can be taken via lifestyle change and home remedies to improve eyesight.
As we age, the clarity of our eyesight gradually decreases but there are very young children too, with eyesight related issues. Long hours spent on computers and in front of the TV have accelerated vision problems in children and adults alike. Vision can be corrected by surgeries or just wearing prescription glasses or spectacles. You can however, improve your eyesight naturally at home too, by doing eye exercises, and making dietary changes and lifestyle changes. Let us look at these important home remedies that can better your eyesight, in a little more detail:
Eye exercises help to strengthen eye muscles, maintain flexibility of eye lens and improve vision. Some exercises that can be done to help eyesight are:
- Breathing Yoga Exercises: These exercises encourage and imbibe conscious breathing to improve the quality of life. To do this you can either sit on an erect yet comfortable chair or on a yoga mat. Place your hands on your thighs, close your eyes and let your body relax. Start by breathing in deeply through your nose and exhaling gently through the mouth. Do this for two minutes, after which open your eyes but don’t focus too much on anything. Repeat the exercise 3 times.
- Blinking Exercises: Blinking helps to moisturize the eyes and soothe it. It is easy and can be done anywhere. If you eyes feel tired and weary, all you have to do is blink it for 4 to 5 seconds at a time for two minutes
- Palming Exercises: The exercises help to stimulate the acupuncture points around the eye, thus relaxing eye muscles and calming the mind. For this, place your elbows on a table and your left palm over your left eye with your fingers touching the forehead. Then take your right palm and place it over your right eye, with your right hand’s fingers touching the left hand’s ones. The cup of your palms should cover the eyes but not touch it. Do this exercise for at least 3 minutes.
Apart from these exercises, there is the ‘figure of eight’ exercise to increase eye muscle flexibility and ‘near and far focusing’ exercise which helps in myopia.
Eating fruits and vegetables high in vitamins is important for the eyes to improve eyesight and reduce number. Here are a few foods that could help in eye health:
- Bilberry: Is a fruit with antioxidants that protect the eyes from free radical damage. It also improves blood circulation in the eyes.
- Blueberries and Grapes: Help to improve night vision.
- Carrots: Are rich in vitamin A and contain beta-carotene that promotes eyesight.
- Cold Water Fish: Contains DHA which helps provide structural support to the cell membrane in the eyes. Cold water fish is also considered in treatments of eyesight preservation, macular degeneration and dry eyes.
- Spinach, Kale and Green Leafy Vegetables: Help protect the macula in the eyes as they are rich in carotenoids.
- Eggs, Onions, Garlic, Shallots and Capers: Contain antioxidants that are important for the lens of the eyes
Apart from a dietary change and eye exercises, it is important that you get your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist regularly.
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.
More articles from the Health advice Category