Home Remedies & Prevention for Dry And Rough Hands
Rough and dry hands are a very common problem for many as hands are most exposed to harsh chemicals, rough materials, pollution, and climatic changes. Dry hands can be annoying; however, it is not a serious condition. That said; having rough and dry hands not only affects how we feel about ourselves it also affects people’s opinion of us. Fortunately, there are many simple home remedies that you can opt for to make your hands soft once more.
Following are some of the home remedies that help to treat dry, rough hands.
- Moisturizer: Pamper your hands with moisturizer. Moisturizers can effectively soften your skin and make it supple. Use a hand lotion that contains active ingredients, but ensure to use a gentle and natural moisturizer.
- Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is very effective on dry chapped hands. Apply warmed olive oil generously on your hand several times a day. Overnight treatment can be helpful to treat extreme dry hands. Apply olive oil or almond oil generously and leave it on overnight. You can add a few drops of scented essential lavender oil to get a pleasant aroma. Mashed avocado is also extremely moisturizing.
- Honey: Honey is one of the natural ingredients that keep the skin hydrated, moisturized, and healthy. It promotes collagen production and replenishes the skin. Apply it all over your hands and wash it off after 30 minutes.
- Cocoa Butter, Beeswax, and Shea Butter: You can make excellent homemade hand creams with some of these ingredients. Mix eight tablespoons of shea butter and four tablespoons of beeswax and melt it. Add eight tablespoons of primrose oil and ten drops of lavender essential oil. For another recipe, mix four tablespoons of cocoa butter and four tablespoons of beeswax and melt it together. Add four tablespoons of lavender oil. These are wonderful homemade creams that really work on extremely dry hands
- Exfoliate your Hands: The old skin cells on the surface of the hand may cause roughness. Exfoliate your hands with a gentle exfoliating scrub and warm water, and apply a hand cream thereafter to get rid of rough hands.
- Massage your Hands: A simple hand massage is the best treatment to make your hands stay younger looking. Massaging enhances blood circulation. Place your hands in a bowl of lukewarm water. Relax for 10 minutes, pat dry, and apply a massage cream or natural based oil, and massage. Repeating on a regular basis helps to prevent dry, aging hands.
Often cracked and dry hands occur when they are frequently exposed to harsh chemicals or due to changes in the weather. You can thus prevent dry and rough hands by taking necessary precautions. Some tips for prevention of dry, rough hands are as follows.
- Wear protective gear like rubber gloves when washes dishes or working in the garden. This helps to avoid contact with harsh chemicals.
- Alcohol-based products can worsen dry and cracked hands. So use gentle soaps and hand sanitizers that have a minimum amount of alcohol.
- Instead of using hot water to wash your hands, use warm water; hot water tends to take the moisture out of the skin.
- Ensure to take good care of your hands and avoid excessive exposure to the sun. Use water resistant sunscreen lotions when stepping outdoors to keep hands from wrinkling.
- Water is a key element to keep soft, healthy skin. Drink adequate water daily (8 to 10 glasses) to keep yourself well hydrated. Include plenty of fresh fruit juices and vegetables in your diet.
- It is important to dry and moisturize your hands after washing.
- Avoid smoking as this causes early aging signs.