Home Remedies for Glaucoma
Natural treatments for glaucoma can come in particularly handy, but they are best used as complimentary treatments to facilitate and enhance the effects of conventional care. Clinical studies into some natural remedies have been encouraging and you could consult with your doctor for advice on natural care, but avoid making any decisions yourself.
There are also certain natural remedies for glaucoma which may be used subject to the approval of the doctor. Home remedies for glaucoma include:
- Consuming foods that are rich in vitamin A and carotenoids as they help in improving night vision and also keeping the eyes healthy. Lutein and spinach are known to be good sources of carotenoid which help in reversing many eye conditions as they keep the eye tissue and the retina healthy.
- The diet of the individual diagnosed with glaucoma should also include foods that are rich in vitamin E as it helps in keeping the eye lens clean.
- Take Rutin supplements (50mg) daily. Studies show that this bioflavnoid can reduce pressure in the eye and stop eye pain as well.
- The herb Eyebright can be found at a heath food store in the form of drops for the eyes. These drops are an effective remedy for glaucoma and much safer than commercial eye drops.
- Gingko Biloba is believed to increase the delivery of oxygen to the eye and thereby clear it of toxins. This can prevent loss of vision.
- Cayenne pepper administered in minute amounts to eye after diluting it in water works as an anti-inflammatory and increases the flow of blood to the eyes.
- Bilberry extract strengthens the retina and reduces internal pressure in the eye. Bilberry is also used to treat cataracts.
- Fennel had raw in salads or drunk, as a tea is an excellent remedy for problems with vision. Washing the eyes with fennel tea can also help.
Frequently asked questions
- David F. Garway-Heath, Early diagnosis in glaucoma, In: Carlo Nucci, Luciano Cerulli, Neville N. Osborne and Giacinto Bagetta, Editor(s), Progress in Brain Research, Elsevier, 2008, Volume 173, Pages 47-57, ISSN 0079-6123, ISBN 9780444532565, 10.1016/S0079-6123(08)01105-9.
- M. Mozaffarieh, M.C. Grieshaber, S. Orgül, J. Flammer, The Potential Value of Natural Antioxidative Treatment in Glaucoma, Survey of Ophthalmology, Volume 53, Issue 5, September–October 2008, Pages 479-505, ISSN 0039-6257, 10.1016/j.survophthal.2008.06.006.
- Matthias Monhart, What Are the Options of Psychophysical Approaches in Glaucoma?, Survey of Ophthalmology, Volume 52, Issue 6, Supplement, November 2007, Pages S127-S133, ISSN 0039-6257, 10.1016/j.survophthal.2007.08.007.