Depressive Disorder And Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is one of the best ways to treat one self. It is pampering and nurturing and very satisfying experience.
Aromatherapy is effective in dealing with stress, depression and its related disorders. Depression is an umbrella term encompassing a spectrum of problems and symptoms which could lead to more serious illness.
Though aromatherapy cannot fix the root of the problem, but these essences have an uplifting effect on the mind and emotions. It helps to you to relax, be energized and creates a feeling of well being. Aromatherapy can help in mild forms of depression by easing mental fatigue and help with sleep. Depression related disorders, such as digestive problems, stress and other mental problems, can be treated by Aromatherapy.
Just the right blend applied in massages, baths, diffusers and personal perfumes can all be helpful at such times. In extreme cases of depression, additional support and therapy are necessary.
Few commonly used essential oils for depression are basil, bergamot, clary sage, geranium, lavender, lemon, jasmine, neroli, rose, sandalwood, orange, and ylang ylang.
- Bergamot - It is ahappy uplifting oil, works well against tensions, headaches and anxiety either through massage or a diffuser.
- Geranium - It has a powerful effect on depressive moods negative feelings diminish and are replaced with feelings of wellbeing.
- Ylang ylang - It helps to balance and calm emotional trauma. Great relaxer for anxiety, depression and insomnia.
- Clary Sage - Treats insomnia, anxiety and depression.
- Basil - It is used to lift fatigue, anxiety and depression.
- Rose - It is great on the entire nervous system and disorders.
- Sandalwood - The sedative properties are good for treating depression and tension.
- Lavender - It isused for nervous system disorders such as depression, headache, hypertension, insomnia, migraine, nervous tension, stress related conditions.
- Jasmine - It increases the beta waves in the front of the head which can give you a more alert and responsive state of mind.
- Orange & Lemon - It helps in cases of sadness, irritability, lack of energy, and depression.
- Neroli -This gentle sedative rejuvenates the skin and relieves anxiety.
Blends to help Depression
- Blend 1 - 1 drop Rose, 3 drops Sandalwood and 1 drop Orange oil
- Blend 2 - 3 drops Bergamot and 2 drops of Clary sage
- Blend 3 - 1 drop each of Lavender, Ylang Ylang and 3 drops Grapefruit
- Blend 4 - 2 drops frankincense, 1 drop Lemon and 2 drops of Jasmine or Neroli
The above mentioned essential oils can be used in the correct blend for massages, baths, diffusers and even personal perfumes. You will enjoy the uplifting feeling that will rid your life of depression.
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.
More articles from the Aromatherapy Category