Is There Some Type Of Fungus That Affects The Lips?
Oral candidiasis is a condition in which the lips are infected with yeast. A fungus known as candida albicans usually infects areas on your body that are warm and moist. Since the lips are both warm and moist, they are prone to this yeast infection.
Although candida albicans is present naturally in our environment, it affects those who have very low immunity. When the fungus infects the lips, you tend to suffer from a condition known as plaza chelitis. This is a condition in which the soft tissues in and around the mouth become very dry. These would also develop deep cracks. People who wear dentures, have low immunity, consume a lot of alcohol, smoke a lot of cigarettes, or suffer from anemia are more prone to developing the fungal infection.
Fungus on the lips, though not a serious condition, can be really painful and uncomfortable. Fungal infections of the lips could affect your mouth for a long time, causing deep fissures in the soft tissues. Unless you use medications or antifungal ointments, the lip fungus symptoms usually persist.
Depending on how deep the fissures are and how long they have persisted, you would need to get yourself treated by a doctor.
answered by G M on Jan 31, 2012, 11:23:53
How can I get rid of yeast on my lips, they are hard, purple and swollen?
Lip fungus, although not a harmful health condition, can be really bothersome, especially because it dries up the skin around your mouth and causes deep and painful fissures. Fortunately, there are home remedies that you can use to get rid of this painful condition. Lip fungus treatment can also be performed with the help of antifungal balms and ointments, but if you can, use home remedies as these do not have any side effects. Here are some tips on how to treat fungus on lips in a natural way:
- Mix together a spoon of castor oil with a cup of warm milk and drink this every day in the morning as well as in the evening, before going to bed.
- Another great remedy for yeast on lips is the mixture of leaves of stone apple and pepper powder. You can consume this several times a day till the symptoms persist.
- The goldenseal herb is another great remedy for fungus on your lips. You can grind the herb into a fine paste and consumed with lukewarm water. You can also apply this topically on the areas affected by the yeast. This is remedy is effective against all kinds of fungal infection.
- You can also make a therapeutic oil mixture using vegetable oil and a few drops of tea tree oil, and apply it over the affected areas.
answered by G R on Jan 24, 2012, 12:38:32
I have chronic fungal infection around my lips, please suggest me some remedies?
Lip infections are really embarrassing and these can make you extremely uncomfortable as well. Normally, if you are healthy and maintain good hygiene, you would not have to worry about dealing with fungal infections. People who have strong immune systems never have to worry about fungal infections, especially on the lips or around the mouth. If you have a chronic fungal infection, it would not go away on its own. Here are some remedies for yeast infection on the lips:
- The first thing that you should do is to avoid consuming sugars and sweet foods. A diet that is rich in sugars makes for an environment that facilitates the growth of yeast and fungus.
- If you have diabetes, you will need to control your blood sugar. A healthy lifestyle, good diet and regular exercise can help you deal with diabetes and high blood sugar.
- You can use tea tree oil to get rid of fungal infections. However, tea tree, being a very strong essential oil, is never applied to the lips directly. Mix a few drops of it in vegetable oil and only then apply it to your skin.
- Crush a lotus flower and mix the extract in warm milk. Drink this every day till the symptoms of the lips infection subside.
answered by A S on Jan 18, 2012, 12:04:13
How to treat the cut inside lip that is infected?
An infected lip cut due to bacteria present in the wound. It is therefore essential to treat a lip cut before any infection sets in. One of the biggest problems one faces in treating a cut lip is keeping the lips dry. When you cut your lip, you instinctively start licking the cut and this could be dangerous as saliva contains bacteria. Cut lip infection more often than not, occurs due to licking the cut lip incessantly. To avoid an infected lip cut, you should start applying tea tree oil immediately as this is a good remedy to prevent infection. Mix a little tea tree oil with some vegetable or coconut oil and apply it to the infected cut on the lip. Another effective remedy for an infected lip cut is to clean the cut, rinse your mouth and avoid eating solid foods or touching it, till it starts to heal. Treatment for an infected cut lip also includes avoiding applying dairy products like milk, butter or margarine on the affected area. These products will not help as they make the wound even more susceptible to infection. Brew a tea made out of fever few and ginger. This tea will help to deal with the pain and reduce the inflammation as well.
answered by G M on Jan 12, 2012, 11:38:32
Yeast overgrowth (fungus) can cause the corners of your mouth to become red, chapped or cracked. It could be caused because of stress or antibiotic overdose. In case of a fungal lip infection, swish liquid acidophilus yogurt in your mouth several times a day. This should help. If your condition is severe, consult a doctor. You are likely to have cold sores which is more common. Cold sores, also known as fever blisters usually affect the lips and are caused by a virus.
answered by P P on Jul 3, 2006, 1:34:09
Read more questions in General Health & Fitness