Overdose of Vitamin C

Vitamin C has antioxidant properties which may contribute in developing the symptoms of Vitamin C overdose. These symptoms are mainly caused as a result of ingestion of some amount of ascorbic acid consumed in excess of optimal doses or prolonged use supplements containing high percentage of Vitamin C. high doses of Vitamin C can also be caused if the person is suffering from renal disease and sickle cell anemia.

Antioxidants are essential for damaging free radicals and promote normal body functions. Free radicals are by products of normal cell activity and help in development of various diseases like atherosclerosis, cataracts, lung disease, memory loss and cancer. The development of these diseases can be controlled by antioxidants. Low or high level of antioxidants often hinders the antioxidant phenomenon of damaging the free radicals.

The most common effect of a high dose Vitamin C is diarrhea. The minimum amount responsible for causing diarrhea is about 5 -- 25 grams a day or 500 -- 2500 milligrams a day. Other effects or symptoms of too much Vitamin C are backache, nausea, vomiting, headaches, abdominal pain, itchy skin, dental cavities, reduced urine output, tender mass in left upper abdomen, face flushing, disturbances and fatigue. These symptoms are found only in adults and in the children, the most common symptom of excess vitamin c is skin rash.

A further complication caused by overdose of Vitamin C is iron poisoning. This is because Vitamin C enhances the absorption of iron in the body. Iron poisoning can lead to fatal health conditions even mortality.

Can you overdose on Vitamin C is a question waving in many health conscious minds because it is a water soluble vitamin. It is always advisable to take Vitamin C in recommended amount and an overdose only if consult by a doctor. In any case, if you take an overdose on Vitamin C, cease intake and seek medical advice.