Advice on metal and sterling allergy

(Aug 4, 2008)


Metal allergies are not very unusual - many people are unable to wear anything except for pure silver or gold, and in addition, often have to endure jokes about royal blood and so on and so forth. The allergy is usually specifically to nickel, which is often used to create an alloy when making a lot of jewelry. In fact, gold jewelry too often uses a little bit of nickel, and therefore people who have an severe allergy to nickel are unable to wear most gold products as well.

The main thing that you need to do if you have an allergy is to avoid the cause of your allergic reaction. If you are allergic to anything that is less than 14 k silver, you should avoid everything else except 14 k silver. It is not entirely clear from your question whether this is the case - if you are only allergic to sterling silver, then of course you should avoid only that specific material. Sterling silver is an alloy of silver that usually contains copper, so perhaps you are allergic to copper. It is important to determine exactly what you are allergic to, so that you are better able to avoid that substance. Avoidance is the most effective way of handling an allergy, and this is something you do not seem to be doing. You are aware that if you wear such materials for even a little while, you start to have quite a severe allergic reaction - it should therefore follow that you should not wear them at all.

In any case, whenever you do break out into a rash due to your allergy, the best treatment is to apply an ice pack. Other home remedies for treating allergic rashes do not always work, and can sometimes even worsen the rash.

answered by G M on Aug 4, 2008, 8:27:29


Warning: home-remedies-for-you.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. see additional information
Read more questions in Health Advice