My 3 yr. old boy has a deep cough, fever 101.5, and poison ivy all over his face. Does the poison ivy have anything to do with the cough and fever? Kindly suggest some remedies.

Poison ivy rash is caused as an allergic reaction to an oily resin that is present in poison ivy. While it commonly causes a red rash with blisters, accompanied by severe itching, fever and throat swelling that you mention are uncommon symptoms. Such reactions could however occur in a severe reaction. It is also possible that your son is suffering from hives and fever brought on by an altogether different allergic reaction. Whatever the cause, a fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit is quite serious and I would strongly advise you to get your son to a doctor as soon as possible.

Poison ivy is a very common cause of skin rashes and allergic reactions, particularly seen in children and adults who spend a lot of time outdoors. There are cases where smoke produced from burning the plant can also cause a reaction. The oily resin present in the plant that is responsible for the reaction can enter the skin very rapidly, but it is very rare for it to be transmitted from person to person. Fluid from the blister is not contagious as this is not an infection. Make sure that any residue of the oil or resin is however washed off thoroughly, from both the skin as well as clothes.

Although a poison ivy rash subsides naturally and heals within one to three weeks, there are a number of home remedies and medications that you can use to get relief from the symptoms and to promote healing. Aluminum acetate soaks are a useful home remedy for poison ivy rash as they help to reduce the itching and dry out the rash. Oatmeal bath products, are commonly available in medical stores, and help by soothing the itchy skin. Oral corticosteroids may also be prescribed by your doctor if the outbreak is severe or widespread.

While cough and fever are not among the common symptoms in a severe or serious reaction a fever could develop. I would strongly advise you to get your son to a doctor as a fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit is quite serious. In cases where the rash spreads to sensitive parts of the body like the mouth, eyes or genitals, or pus begins to ooze out of the blisters as well, it is imperative that you get medical attention.

answered by M W

Warning: does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. see additional information
Read more questions in Childrens Issues