I am allergic to most of the pain killer pills. I had a surgery where the doctor gave me Norco drug which is good for pain but now is causing me to go crazy with the itching. Benadryl is not working. What do you suggest?

Certain medications may give rise to an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction to medication is unwanted and uncommon. Reaction to a particular type of drug can range from a localized mild rash to more serious repercussions on the vital systems. A reaction to medication could affect several organs in the body, but the skin tends to be the one that is most involved. It is crucial to recognize symptoms of drug allergies. This is because if ignored they can pose to be life-threatening conditions. Death caused due to an allergic reaction due to medication is rare, but the seriousness of the possibility cannot be ignored. Allergic reactions do not normally happen when you take the medication for the first time. The reaction is more likely to happen when you take the medicine the next time. If in case you do have a reaction at the first instance itself, then you were probably exposed to the particular drug before, but were unaware of it.

Allergic reactions are caused by one's immune system. The immune system overreacts to the medication, which is considered to be an antigen or chemical invader. This overreaction of one's immune system is what is referred to as a hypersensitivity reaction. Antibodies to fight these antigens are produced by the body, and these antibodies are stored in special cells. The next time that the body is exposed to the drug, the stored antibodies will signal the cells to free certain chemicals, which are called mediators. The effect that these mediators have on the other cells and on the organs is what causes the symptoms of an allergic reaction. Painkillers, antibiotics and anti- seizure medications are some of the most common causes of drug allergies.

Symptoms of a drug allergy may vary to a large extent depending on the medication as well the amount of exposure to the particular drug i.e. the frequency with which the drug has been take. Some of the common reactions are; a skin reaction, fever, swelling of lymph nodes, joint and muscle aches and an inflammation of the kidneys. The best thing to do in your case is stop the medication and you consult your physician. Since your physician is aware of your medical history he/ she would be the best person, to recommend the treatment that would be required. Your doctor may either prescribe an alternate drug or may prescribe antihistamines in order to reduce the symptoms.

answered by G M

The first thing you need to do is to get an OTC antihistamine to stop the itching. Get your doctor to prescribe you one. Maintain a record of drug sensitivities and be sure to inform your doctor during every visit. Especially in the area of pain killers, there are several alternatives and there is no reason to take a drug that is causing reactions.

Here are some alternative treatments for surgical pain:

One of the best known and most effective natural pain killers is white willow bark. Taken from the white willow tree, the bark contains lled a substance salicin, which is a proven pain reliever. Salicin is an active ingredient present in the OCT drug aspirin, which is why white willow bark is called the "herbal aspirin".

Another excellent pain killer is curcumin. This is a turmeric extract with anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Not only will it relieve the pain, it will reduce the risk of post-surgical infection. There are several other herbal remedies for pain and formulae containing aloe vera, margosa, cayenne and eucalyptus are said to be beneficial. Essential oils of jasmine, peppermint, lavender and rosemary also give pain relief.

For natural allergy relief, especially for people suffering from multiple allergies, acupuncture is recommended as it quiets the immune system after overstimulation by allergens. Since your body is now in a delicate condition because of surgery, do not make any changes to your regime without the advice of your primary health giver.

answered by S E

Warning: home-remedies-for-you.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. see additional information
Read more questions in Alternative Health