How long does it take to get rid of food poisoning?

If you are suffering from food poisoning, it will not take too long for the symptoms to start showing up. You may not feel anything for a while, sometimes, maybe even for a few hours. The first signs that should alert you that something is wrong are feelings of discomfort and stomach ache. This is the most general way that food poisoning manifests itself. This is not to say that there are no other different symptoms. Some people also suffer from fainting spells, strong and serious cramps, nausea, and intense vomiting. All or any of these can signal food poisoning. It would depend upon how seriously a person has been affected and exactly what kind of food poisoning has occurred.

Some of the commonest causes of food poisoning are eating food that has been contaminated with germs and bacteria. Most of the time, this happens when contaminated water has been used to prepare food. Sometimes, food that has been left out for too long can also cause food poisoning. Unsanitary cooking conditions can also cause food poisoning. The most important thing when you are affected by the problem is to get medical aid at once. The sooner you get aid, the better your chances are of recovering quickly and well. Keep in mind that food poisoning can also be fatal, so you must never delay medical attention. In all likelihood, a quick response will even save you the trouble of hospitalization, which is a very real possibility in the case of food poisoning. If you are unable to get medical attention and aid quickly, then you must take certain measures to ensure that the toxins you have managed to consume do not spread. The first thing to do is to induce vomiting. This is the best way to get the offending materials out of your body and system as quickly as possible. In order to induce vomiting, the best method is to drink large quantities of water very quickly. This is particularly difficult to do under any circumstances, so be prepared for a minimal amount of resistance that your body will offer to it. Keep on drinking water till you system throws it, and all the contents of your stomach out. You can also add two tablespoons of salt to a glass of water and keep drinking this. It will make you vomit faster. Water will also not let you get dehydrated when faced with food poisoning.

answered by G M

Warning: does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. see additional information
Read more questions in Health Advice