Fabric to be worn to prevent sun allergy

Sun allergies are quite a rare condition in which direct exposure to the sun can trigger a response in the immune system that activates proteins or inflammatory cells in the skin, resulting in an itchy, reddish rash or hives. The reaction generally subsides and fades off within twenty four hours after the exposure.

Avoiding direct exposure and travelling during the afternoon when the sun's radiation exposure is at its highest would be the best way to address the problem. This is however not always an option, most often because of occupational reasons. In such cases applying a sun screen lotion and wearing protective clothing is the best way to protect and shield yourself from an allergic reaction. Protective clothing would basically imply clothes that cover as much of your skin as possible shielding it from direct exposure. Long sleeves shirts and hats would be useful and clothes that are not too thin. The fabric should be thicker to limit penetration. In addition to this use a sun screen lotion with a sun protection factor or SPF of at least fifteen.

Apart from the conventional and more rustic ideas of protective clothing there is a category or a specific type of clothing itself categorised as 'sun protective clothing'. These clothes are specially designed for protection from the sun and they are made with fabrics rated on the basis of ultraviolet protection that they offer. The textiles and fabrics that are used for sun protective clothing may also be pre-treated using UV inhibiting ingredients at the time of manufacture to enhance their capacity to block ultraviolet rays. Sun protective clothing generally also adheres to specific parameters of design with styles that are appropriate to cover as much skin as possible that is vulnerable to ultraviolet radiation. For example, styles with long sleeves, full collars, full-length trousers and skirts are quite common.

answered by M W

Warning: home-remedies-for-you.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. see additional information
Read more questions in Health Advice